Internet marketing, which is also referred to as online marketing or digital marketing is a form of marketing where business owners use the world wide web to market their products and services to potential consumers. For the longest time companies tried to find their way around advertising and marketing their businesses on the internet. It worked but it did not work as well as they intended it to. We now have group of experts who understand the inter webs and how it works, who are helping different companies make a killing in their sales on the internet.
These group of experts is what we refer to as Digital marketers. Digital marketers are a group of professionals who help businesses grow their online presence by curating their content in a way that attracts more potential consumers which in turn brings in growth in company sales and possible long-term relationships between businesses and consumers. These professionals must be well accustomed to different internet channels like, websites, social media, email marketing and online display ads in order to fully benefit a business. In general, a digital marketer is in charge of all aspects of a company’s digital strategy. If you are someone who would love to get into this industry then this is the best article for you. I will outline the skills that you need in order for you to be a good digital marketer.
Before we proceed it is important to note that as a digital marketer you can be either one who focuses on the creative part of digital marketing which is coming up with campaigns to attract more consumers or you can be one who is more concentrated on the technical part of creating a website and a blog and making sure it works for the benefit of a business. You can also be one who is both and that’s the kind that a lot of businesses want to invest in.
Below are some of the basic skills you must possess in order to be a great digital marketer.
- CONSUMER ENGAGEMENT: The first thing I learnt in business school is that customers will break or built your brand and that is only dependent on how you engage with them. Customers are the backbone of any business and knowing how to interact with them as a digital marketer is more than important. You cannot be rude to a customer when they bring inquiries, rather you should be able to know how to respond to them politely and this is regardless to however their enquiry tone is. You should never engage as an individual but as a Brand.
- VIDEO CONTENT CREATION: If you ask me, when I’m on the internet I find it way easier to watch and interact more with video content than reading through a long-written post. Being a digital marketer means that you should be able to create good video content, and this is inclusive of shooting, editing and posting. I will tell you this for free, if ever you go looking for a digital marketing job and you tell your potential employer that you don’t know how to create video content, they will 100% be reluctant to hire you. It has been proven time and again that most people tend to engage more with video content and that is why you must sharpen your video creation skills.
- UNDERSTAND SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION: If anything being a digital marketer means that you should have a great understanding on how search engine optimization works and make it work for any business. Being a pro in search engine optimization means that you understand that in order for your website and blog to get digital ads, it is all courtesy of search drives on the inter webs. In simple terms you must understand the importance of engine search drives and manipulate then to serve your purpose. Being a pro will not happen overnight, it will definitely take you a while to fully grasp the concept but the sooner you start the better.
- CONTENT MARKETING: What is content and why must it be marketed? Digital marketing is basically a contest between contents to prove which one performs better than the other when presented to consumers. You must be an individual who is able to create good creative content that will capture the attention of the consumer and potential consumer. Being able to create content and market it in an effective way will definitely guarantee a business great fortune. With that said, there are different kinds of contents that can be marketed on behalf of a business to gain it more customers or keep the existing ones. We have whitepapers, case studies, how-to booklets, and more. Be sure to sharpen your content creations skills.
- BRAND DESIGN THINKING: Being a digital marketer means that you are generally the brains behind how a brand business is perceived by its consumers. You should be a person who is able to come up with brand designs that will work to the benefit of a business. Depending on what your design thinking level is, it will determine how a business will engage with its consumers and ensure that their online presence is one that is positive and effective. You must be a critical thinker who is able to look at suggestions, gauge their long-term benefits and how they could possibly affect the business in the long run. You cannot be one who takes on every suggestion and runs with it.
- TECH KNOWLEDGE: Remember the part where I mentioned that you can be a digital manager who works on the technical side of the spectrum? Well you must be a person who is interested in technology and always eager to try out anything new in the technology market. Technology is a big part of digital marketing and if I didn’t know better, I would even say that they are mutually exclusive. You must always be on your toes and looking out for what’s new and how it could possibly benefit your business. All I’m saying is that you must be very easy with technology and using it shouldn’t be something that gives you difficulties. No matter where you want to begin (or end up) in your career, some knowledge of web coding and Content Management (CMS) systems are a must.
- DATA ANALYTICS : You must know how to use google search console and Google Analytics. These two will come in handy when it comes to analyzing how your content is being received by consumers and what you should do to make it better and more relatable. Google uses this to send you reports on how your website is doing and with those reports you can begin to curate your content and steer it to a different direction. You must know how to sturdy the consumer behaviors and interactions and come up with solutions that will increase conversions and drive traffic to your site.
If you can master and polish all the skills I have mentioned above, then you can make a killing in internet marketing as a digital marketer. It is important to get into a profession where you know your skills will put you at a better position where you can use them and benefit even more.